Re: Potato - locked out of X

Daniel Burrows wrote:

> I have just upgraded to potato and I can't get into X as a normal user, only
> root works. When I type startx (as a normal user) I get a message saying I
> don't have privileges to do it.
>
> Thanks.

Check out /etc/X11/Xserver file. The first line should be path to your X
server. If the second line is RootOnly, change it to Console. There is
some info in the file too.

This file determines who can start X. If that doesn't work -- It works
for me, if I'm not connected to Internet! Sounds strange but is true. --
you can try start xdm or gdm and start session as a normal user.

 Esko Lehtonen                   WYSINWYG -
 eplehton@cc.helsinki.fi         What You See Is Never What You Get
(esko.lehtonen@pp.htv.fi)