Re: Gnome Problem

Jay Kelly <neutec@pacbell.net> writes:

> Hello Group,
> I am running Potato and have just install Gnome using apt-get install gdm. I
> have two question.
>
> 1, When the gnome login screen appears I select gnome for my session from
> the drop down mune and enter my login and pass and hit enter. The screen
> goes black the right back to the login screen. But if I choose xsession for
> the drop down menu and log in with the same login X starts fine. Whats going
> on here? Do I need to set something up still?

gdm is just the display manager for gnome. You still need the gnome
libraries and applications. You can install task-gnome-desktop and
that will pull the default gnome window manager (enlightenment) and
other applications.

> 2, How can I make Gnome not start after the machine is booted. I know with
> X, I changed the /etc/X11/S99xdm file. What will I need to change here?

With gnome it would be the /etc/X11/S99gdm file.

later,
joseph
--
the "LaterDude"
ICQ: 52640402

All opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of
my employer unless otherwise noted.