Re: Changing my hard disk setup

> Recently somebody suggested that it may be my setup that is causing
> the problems and that it is better to have the two hard disks on the
> same cable and the two CDROM's on the other.

sound sensible. this was my first thought, too. :-)

> /etc/fstab is necessary for the system to shutdown properly.
well, not tu shut down, but only to unmount all partitions.
so you can do "init 1", edit /etc/fstab, unmount by hand and reboot.
a bigger problem is with lilo ... you would have to set it up for a
system, which is not running yet. possibly a boot disk or using loadlin is
the best idea, but i really don't know.

> Are there other files besides lilo.conf and /etc/fstab that will be
> affected by such a change?
probably your /dev/cdrom link, if you have one.
i can't thing of other problems ...

If Windows is the answer, I want the problems back!