Realplayer, Lilo suddenly & mysteriously segfaulting (potato, kern 2.2.15)

Hi all,
    Something wierd is happening, last night one minute Realplayer 7 was
working nicely, the next it only segfaults when I try to start it up, I
uninstalled, and reinstalled and the problem persists.  So I thought I'd do
an apt-get update; apt-get upgrade over night and look at it in the morning.

Not only did the upgrade try to `upgrade' my custom 2.2.15 kernel (revision
custom.1.2 built with kernel-package) with some precompiled bohemith which
IMHO is a bad thing (and not surprisingly something I didn't let it do), but
it failed when setting up lilo - I ran lilo manually to see what the problem
was, and it just segfaults too now, realplayer continues to just segfault.

I had a similar problem with lots of different pre-compiled software with
debian in the past - stuff like Acrobat, Wordperfect etc all just segfault
on startup.  And Realplayer G2 started doing it once and I re-installed it
to correct the problem.  Any ideas anybody ?

Also, am I correct in saying there is no Realplayer 8 version for unix boxen
yet ?

Thanks
---
James Sleeman,