Re: how do I get high uid support

In article <cistron.20000523171341X.cliffwd@sun.com>,
Cliff Draper  <Cliff.Draper@Sun.com> wrote:
>My group just recently switched to using 32-bit uids.  My
>understanding was that kernel 2.4 would support that.

Will support, when it gets released in a few months. Right now the 2.3.x
series (and 2.4-test1) are still NOT suitable for production use.

>I compiled
>2.3.99pre8, rebooted, and tried a high uid user.  And it failed
>("setuid: Invalid argument").  Further reading suggested that I'd need
>to go to glibc 2.2 (I'm currently using potato), but I'd rather not do
>that if I don't have to.

You can't - glibc 2.2 hasn't been released either.

>Is there another way to do this?

You're a few months early. I think that "woody" will have 32 bit UID
support in say 6 months or so.

Mike.
--
Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it.