POP3 server problem

Hello everyone,
               I have a very weird problem happening with our POP3 server.
All of a sudden yesterday one of the users using this service reported
that he kept getting "-ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail/fred"
being returned from the POP server. I have looked into this and can find
no other connection or anyone else with this file open. The users mail box
can be read with the standard unix mail program no problem. In desparation
I saved the mailbox and deleted the account and associated files, then
re-created an account with the same name. Low and behold the POP server
returns ok until you send this user a mail and then as soon as the file is
> 0 bytes the POP server says that the file is already being read. I don't
understand what is going on here! Can anyone suggest what to do next? If I
create a new account with a different name all works normally.
As an aside is there anyway in Linux of finding what files are in use or
locked by a process? As I mentioned nothing shows up regarding this file
in the process table.

Best regards JohnG

32865e97b5342e762ab140e00f3da23b - Just 'Debian'