Re: Flirting with diaster (a bad installation experience)

Firstly, don't fake a new message by replying to an old one and changing
the subject. Everyone gets annoyed because it screws up threading in
their email programs. Compose a completely new message instead.

Andy Krietemeyer wrote:

> With the DOS tool, fdisk, I deleted a little used DOS partition from my 8.4
> gb hard drive to provide ~2 gb freespace

What DOS partition did you delete?

> I rebooted the machine, thinking it would boot Win98 (and I would have to
> (temporarily) boot from the Linux boot floppy to get into Linux).  No OS
> booted.  An error message along the lines of
>  'Set up cannot continue, invalid partition' appeared.

My guess is that you had partitions created out of order, which might
have confused Windows.

Can you please provide your partitioning details, including which DOS
partition you deleted, and the linux partitions you created in its
place?

> Perhaps I overreacted, got stupid, or was lucky or unlucky, but I rebooted
> from a Win98 rescue disk I had created and used DOS fdisk to delete the two
> linux partions to which I had just installed Linux.  I then tried a reboot,
> and thankfully, my Win98 booted and seems none the worse for the experience.

Did you try booting Linux with the floppy?