Re: Hard links

The thing is that from this listing:

>>  108545 drwxr-xr-x  21 root     root         1024 Feb 19 17:34 usr

... I assumed that the hard links theory of files applies to directories
in the very same way. That would mean that - if it were possible - there
are 21 [hard] links to /usr somewhere on the system. That's what puzzled
me. As you can see, I don't know much about the internals of an fs. :-)

>Directories have their own inodes too, which are totally unrelated to
the
>inodes of any files that might be in that directory.  Therefore, if you
>search for the inode of a directory, you should get only that
directory.
>Any object in a filesystem has an inode, including named pipes,
symbolic
>links, device files...

Hmm. I am not completely new to *nix, but named pipes I know nothing of.
Anyone got any good references for me to parse?

>Also keep in mind that inodes are not unique on the system, as a file
can
>have the same inode number as an unrelated file on different
filesystems.
>Because of this when you use -inum you should probably use -xdev as
well.

Cheers for the infos.

TIA
Sven