linux usb modem support

I'm a debian newbie stuck with an annoying winmodem, so I'm about to buy an
external modem for my system. (the diamond supraexpress 56e has been
recommended to me.)

my question is whether linux supports usb modems. the hardware-howto only
mentions serial and internal modems, and I know usb is just making its way
into the linux kernel.

I'd also be interested in modem recommendations. I'd like eventually to set
up my linux box as a ppp server when I eventually get a cablemodem.

thanks,
-david

---
David C. Ables