Building my own apt archive

Another question on apt...

I've downloaded a lot of .deb files from various places on the Internet, and
I'd like to put them on a CD or something for safekeeping. It strikes me
that the best way of doing this would be to put them in some sort of format
which would allow me to use apt to install off it.

Can somebody point me to a document which explains how to build an apt-style
archive? I've looked in the manpages, but there isn't anything which
immediately springs out at me... I think that at the least I need a
Packages.gz file, but I'm not sure how that gets set up. Also, do I need a
fixed directory structure?

Thanks,
Paul.