Re: ghostscript message

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Agner-Nichols <agnernichols@olg.com> wrote:

>When running gv (as a replacement for ghostview), I get a
>Ghostscript message '/invalidfont in findfont' (specifically, Times
>New Roman).

Ad you don't get that with ghostview? Both are just frontends to gs
and this is an error message straight from gs itself.

>Any ideas about where to get additional fonts and how
>to make them available for ghostscript?  (running debian slink,
>kernel 2.0.36 on a cyrix 486 dx).

Put the font files in a directory of your choice, add that to the
GS_LIB environment variable,

export GS_LIB=/path/to/the/fonts:$GS_LIB

and create a 'Fontmap' file in this directory. Format looks like this:

% postscript name		font file

/TimesNewRomanPSMT		(times.ttf)	;
/TimesNewRomanPS_BoldItalicMT	(timesbi.ttf)	;
/TimesNewRomanPS_BoldMT		(timesb.ttf)	;
/TimesNewRomanPS_ItalicMT	(timesi.ttf)    ;

See /usr/lib/ghostscript/fonts/Fontmap for examples.

How to find out about the ps name depends on the type of font. For
type1, there is 'type1inst' (this will create a Fontmap file for you).
For truetype, the fastest way I'm aware of is using ttf2afm (in the
freetype package) and grep the name from the afm:

ttf2afm font.ttf | grep "^FontName"

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>