3C905 with AsusTek K7V

My 3C905 nic does not seem to work with the K7V motherboard. The card works fine in windows, but it will not work in redhat or debian linux. Redhat didn't have much in the way of errors, but debian produced some very interesting things during boot up:

--normal boot stuff--

/dev/hda3: clean, etc, etc
lspci not found, so PCI resource conflict not checked
Calculating module dependencies... done.
Loading modules: 3c59x 3.59x.c:v0.99H 11/17/98 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html The PCI BIOS has not enabled the device at 0/80. Updating PCI command 0004->0005
eth0: 3Com 3c59x Boomerang 100baseTx at 0xa400, 00:60:97:ba:91:1d, IRQ 255
 *** Warning: IRQ 255 is unlikely to work! ***

-- more normal stuff, but later it says:

SIOCSIFNETMASK: Operation not supported by device
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Operation not supported by device
192.168.0.36: unknown interface
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

-- from there it boots fine with no errors.

Note that this is a fresh install of debian, and I have not tried to tweak anything. I also got an SIOCxxxx error with redhat when I used the bootnet.img floppy, so I think it's the same problem. I tried setting the IRQ for the card to 5 in the BIOS instead of "auto" but it didn't make any difference. If you have any suggestions whatsoever I would be glad to try them.

Nolan Clark