Re: apache on debian frozen!

On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 04:51:52PM +0200, Thomas Braun wrote:
> hello group i use the htpasswd from apache for my squid password list
> with ncsa_auth authentication !
>

> my password is 9 characters long but if i typed only 8 it is ssuccessful
> !

htpasswd in apache by default creates crypt password hashes, these
hashes can only hold 8 character passwords, anything more is simply
discarded.

you might be able to use md5 hashes instead of crypt, then you could
have 128 char passwords (i think thats right)

> is this a bug or can squid only handle 8 characters?

i am not sure about squid specifically, but i think your problem is
the hash your using to encode the passwords.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/