Re: dhcp && cable modem (somewhat urgent)

At 04:54 PM 5/23/00 -0500, Chris Hoover wrote:
>I'm in need of a little help.  Tomorrow the cable company is coming to hook up
>my cable modem (HURRAY).  Anyway,  I have been told that they (road runner) use
>dhcp to assign the ip addresses.  I know from some pages I have seen that linux
>will work with road runners dhcp, but I have a different problem.  I'm running
>dhcp on my home network.
>
>Question:  How do you get the dhcp client on my firewall computer to grab the
>cable modem address and not an address from my internal dhcp?

You don't say which dhcp client you are using; there are at least two. The
one I've used, dhcpcd, has a variable IFACE that you set equal to the
interface name (eth0, eth1, or whatever) you want dhcpcd to request a lease
for. I forget if this is in the init.d script or in a config file in
/etc/dhcpc .

Also a heads up: some cable-modem providers require you to use a particular
hostname as part of the least request; I can't recall if RR is like this or not.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com