Auto starting a script

The following are the pertinent sections a script (and the script it calls)
which I want to auto start for run levels 2-5. startup.sh simply calls
tomcat.sh with a "start" parameter.

Questions:
 - Can I accomplish this by simply placing a symbolic link to
   startup.sh called S99tomcat in rc[2-5].d?

 - If I do that, what user will it run as (i.e. where do I set
   the pertinent environment setting like the Java CLASSPATH?)

Thanks for any answers. Here are the scripts:

startup.sh
=============================
#! /bin/sh
BASEDIR=`dirname $0`
$BASEDIR/tomcat.sh start "$@"
=============================

tomcat.sh
#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = "start" ] ; then
  shift
  echo Using classpath: ${CLASSPATH}
  $JAVACMD  -Dtomcat.home=${TOMCAT_HOME} \
	org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat "$@" &
elif [ "$1" = "stop" ] ; then
  shift
  echo Using classpath: ${CLASSPATH}
  $JAVACMD  -Dtomcat.home=${TOMCAT_HOME} \
	org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat -stop "$@"
fi

A. Scott White
Director of Information Systems and Product Strategy
ACS Healthcare Solutions Group