Re: power saving on my desktop...

On 23 May 2000, Matthew Wilson Emmett <memmett@sfu.ca> wrote:

>I'd like to have my desktop save power after 30min of inactivity.
>I've managed to do this before, but I lost my overnight cron jobs, and
>the clock always got skewed.

Do you want that when you're in X or on the console? Three things to
consider:

1. Configure and activate APM in your BIOS, compile kernel with APM
support (you probably did that already).

2. Install the apmd package (no need to actually run the apm*d*, all
you need is apm) and run 'apm -s' or 'apm -S' as needed. Is that what
you used a cron job for? Would be unusual.

3. Configure X properly (set timeouts and define "power_saver") and
run 'xset dpms' from .xinit.

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>