Re: zimage

You're looking in the right place (/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot) for the
zImage file. If it's not there, your description is missing some detail
that, if we know it, would explain what happened. A couple of possibilities:

1. You never mention actually making the symlink "ln -s
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14 /usr/src/linux". Might you (somehow) have compiled a
2.2.14 kernel but be lookin in the directory for the 2.0.36 source?

2. You don't mention doing the "make dep" step (right before "make zImage").
Did you omit it only in your e-mail recap or in the actual compile?

3. "make zImage" will, even for a successful install, generate a lot of
output to the screen. Are you sure there were no errors? You get a prompt
even if the compile ends with an error.

These are just guesses. If none of them hits the maek, review what you did a
bit more carefully. Since your description skipped over a couple of steps
that I know are needed for a successful compile, I have to assume it may
have left out other things as well.

Palo Alto, CA           	 	         ray@comarre.com