Re: NTP

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 01:40:44PM -0500, A. Scott White wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to get ntp running? I installed the package using
> dselect, and it looks like it's there. The daemon is running, and the
> run-level start scripts exist.
>
> Unfortunately, my time is still wrong.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

If your system is way off, ntp will refuse to update the clock on the
assumption that the remote server is insane.

Soluiton:  install ntpdate, edit /etc/init.d/ntpdate to sync to the
ntp server at startup, and then ntp will keep things synced after
that.

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman         "Eschew Obfuscation"          Network Engineer
GPG Key ID 1024D/51F98BB7            http://home.midco.net/~nnorman/