Bug in installation of modules (network)

Package:  Initial installation and setup on a PC
Version:  Debian GNU/Linux Release 2.1
               (I think it comes up as kernel version 2.036  ??)

When installing the Linux onto the pc and going through all of the
modules to install
as part of building the core, I found an error in the NETWORK portion of
the load.

I have the D-Link DFE-530TX+ network card in the PC and found on the
internet
somewhere that the "VIA Rhine" module should work for this card.

The error occurs in the 'Configure Device Driver Modules' menu step -
under the 'net'
category of drivers.  When you choose the "VIA Rhine family chip
Ethernet driver" and
try to install it into the kernel, you get the error "Parameter
documentation for this
module is unavailable".  When you hit return, you get put into the
"Please enter any
command-line arguments for the via-rhine module".  Here is my
problem......  I have no
idea what the arguments could be.

I went to the D-Link page and found a link to a driver for Linux, but to
my avail, it is
not current.  It turned out that the driver file no longer exists on the
machine that the
link pointed to.

On the D-Link diskette that I have I found a copy of what looks like the
driver and
some instructions how to compile it and insert it into the kernel with
the 'insmod'
command.  (insmod rtl8139.o)  (source file is rtl8139.c compiled with
gcc)

The following steps to bind use the '/sbin/ifconfig' command on eth0 -
to add to routing
table using the '/sbin/route' command.  The steps on rebuilding the
kernel are also
included, but are a little beyond my knowledge right now.

I would appreciate any assistance possible on how to get around this - I
just want to
get my machine working on my home network with all of my other computers
and
printers.

Thank You
Brett Dalla