Re: files > 2G possible?

On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 09:31:25AM +0200, Shmulik Elmakias wrote:
> Dir Madam/Sir,
> I need to have files bigger than 2G. What can I do?
> I use debian linux with kernel 2.2.14

buy a computer with an alpha chip (or any other 64bit chip will do)

kernel 2.4 supposedly has some kludges to allow for > 2GB on 32 bit
platforms but i think that software must be rewritten to use the
new/kludged versions of the API.  getting 64bit hardware is a much
cleaner and better solution. (but not that friendly on your wallet :P)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/