Re: Minor Samba issues

Thus spake Philip Lehman on Sun, May 21, 2000 at 12:15:19PM CDT

> When printing from either client, I get an extra blank page after each
> print job. This is mentioned in the docs but I'm only advised to check
> the printer config on the server and the settings on the clients,
> whatever that means.

I just had exactly this problem a couple of days ago with a print server set
up with a virgin install of Debian potato.  The problem turned out to be in
/etc/printcap.  The default printer pulled up in the share is 'lp', which is
basically a config for an old-fashioned dot matrix printer.  It has no 'sf'
entry.  Make sure the printcap entry defining your share contains 'sf',
which is 'supress form feed'.  Adding 'sf' to the printcap entry fixed the
problem for me.  The printcap I use for may shared Epson Action Laser 1500
(which emulates an HP LaserJet III) is as follows:

hpljiii:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hpljiii:\
        :af=/var/log/hpljiii-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/hpljiii-errs:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :sf:

This basically says to accept a file of any size and don't add a blank page
at either the beginning or end.  If you're going to share a printer from a
Windows box you basically want a printcap that's transparent and doesn't
muck with anything at all.  The Windoze driver will do all the mucking, and
you basically want the printer to receive exactly what the Windows driver
puts out.  This printcap entry ought to work for almost any modern printer
shared to a Windows box for which a straightforward Windows driver exists.

The printcap facility in Linux is straight out of the 70s or 80s and is in
serious need of >substantial< revision.  I understand that some such effort
is underway.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      available at