Re: Help: Netgear or Linksys NIC's? Please?

Wow you guys are great -- and fast!

Ray Olszewski wrote [in part]:

> At 07:42 PM 5/21/00 -0600, montefin wrote [in part]:
> >I'm having an SDSL connection installed the first week of June. I will
> >need to have network cards in both my computers. I am told the installer
> >will take care of the rest while installing a Flowpoint 2200 DSL Router.
>
> Did whoever told you this realize that you were connecting a Linux-based
> fiewall to the router?

Ray, yes. But since it's the folks at my ISP, I'm not sure whether they
put their knowledge of my system plan together with the package they're
selling me. Do you foresee any problems in the Flowpoint Router or the
NIC cards vis a vis my linux firewall? I've got to say though that my
ISP is one of the most pro-Linux and Linux-literate that I've heard of.

> I've used the Linksys (specifically the LNE100TX). The tulip driver with the
> latest kernel (2.2.15) supports them properly. Haven't used the Netgear.
> Also used and liked a D-Link and (except for price) a 3C905. But they are
> all pci-slot cards -- does the 486/66 you plan to use as a firewall have pci
> slots? (Only asking since you identify youreslf as a "non-hardware guy".)

Yes. It's what Intel calls their Classic/PCI Expandable Desktop
motherboard which has 3 PCI slots. And thanks for understanding about my
being a "non-hardware guy".

> The 486 is plenty fast for SDSL. I run a Slink-based 486/40 firewall here
> with DSL ... on a 10 mbps LAN with Ne2000 cars on both interfaces. Never a
> problem. For you, the only issue is whether your 486 has pci slots; if not,
> you'll need to run it at 10 mbps with isa-bus cards. No big deal for the DSL
> side, but possbily a problem on the LAN side.

Thanks, Ray, that was what I thought about the 486 being up to
firewalling. Afterall, it was a Goodwill special and since I took my
first babysteps in Debian on it I'm sort of fond of it just that way it
is.

Thanks again,

montefin

--
In Life Timing is everything; in Linux Permissions is everything.
http://www.montefin.com/~montefin/ (up 24/7)