Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> I wouldn't call it nonsensical, but the way dpkg does it is definitely
> more robust. I need to take another close look at how rpm and dpkg
> differ in this respect anyway, so if people are interested in the little
> details I might be willing to write a little comparison about it..

I should probably add something about this to my rpm/deb comparison
page.

The amuising thing is I never even noticed how the order was reversed,
in my prior experience with rpm, when reading all their docs,
when I wrote that page, or working on alien (it is another reason though
why running alien --scripts is unlikely to work..).

When we were talking about this at the office, we did come up with one
situaton where the rpm ordering actually let you correct problems in
a previous package in a way dpkg's ordering did not. However, I figured
out a workaround we could use if we ever ran into that (very unlikely)
case.

--
see shy jo