Anyone have kppp working under potato?

I started with the Corel/debian linux download version.
Kppp worked fine.  Then I made lots of changes.

I did an "apt-get dist-upgrade" to potato, which went fine.

This removed the Corel kde installation so I got the standard
kde 1.1.2 debian distribution from kde.org, which also went
fine.

I noticed the pppconfig/pon/poff feature which comes with
debian, so I went thru the configuration and now pon/poff
works fine.

BUT!!! kppp (which I love and planned to use primarily) is
now broken.

kppp will dial and connect to the point where the modem
returns a "CONNECT" and then the modem hangs up instantly,
with no useful diagnostic messages.

The same happens whether dialing as root or as me, so file
perms are not the problem.

I wonder if the configuration files left behind by pppconfig
could be interfering with kppp?

Any hints much appreciated!

P.S.--I also installed xfree86 4.0 in the meantime, which
also seems to be working fine.  I can't imagine how that
would break kppp, though.