Re: Why is the Debian home page so boring?

Armin Wegner wrote:

> It's not boring, it's functional. And that's what matters.

boring might not have been the right word: maybe "tepid"?
how about "obscure" as in 'is there a link on there that'll
show me how to upgrade from an older debian to a more
current one'?

i still think his point is valid, tho: to help debian grow,
we should facilitate newer users and prospective users,
by implementing some of his suggestions.

[debian is arleady growing, but not because it's easy--if
we can make it easier to get up & running in the debian
world, imagine how our ranks would swell!]

the homepage would be more functional if it had obvious
pointers at the top-left corner including
	- newbie help tips (man, apropos, apt-get...)
	- help us debug the next release (all about frozen & how to install)
	- upgrading (apt-get/sources.config suggestions & tips)
	- glossary (which explains "distribution", "slink", "potato"...)
		don't assume that simply because you know the term
		that everybody else should! bad dog! bad!
	- platforms supported
	- subscribe to the debian-user mailing list
	- support debian (merchandise, investors, donations)
etc.

language needs to be primarily general-usage english
until you get to specific instructions and commands;
only then do you use the specific terminology of
the commands.

i.e.
	DON'T have a link to 'apt-get' as nobody who's new
	to debian would have a clue as to why he should go there.

	DO have a link to 'upgrading debian' that talks about
	dpkg and apt-get.

gotta cater to the audience, so that the audience will grow.