Re: Missing header file conio.h

On Sat, 20 May 2000, Oliver Hingst wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to compile a C++ program, which will be at some point a
> Reverse Polish Notation program.  I am trying to use a function called
> getche() . Therefore, from what I have read, I need to
>
> #include <conio.h>
>
> The problem is on my Potato system, this file is missing even though, I
> have installed all the C/C++ Development headers.  Where is this file
> and why does it seem included in Micro$ofts Visual Studio ?

Oliver

As others have pointed out this is DOS/Windows specific, not
included anywhere but MS compiling environments. I have seen it with
Borland's compilers several years ago.

BUT somewhere in my motley history I have seen a Linux replacement
for the conio library.  The downside is that the library was not
complete.  If I needed this I would certainly search the web before
I rewriting the code to use curses or other native Linux libraries.

Hope this helps; your mileage may vary; may cause drowsiness - do
not operate machinery soon after consuming.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)