Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

Previously Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> I must say, my subjective experience has been that rpm's are much faster
> to install something.  Of course, it's also faster to throw my clothes
> on the floor, rather than put them in the hamper...

That is a result of the fact that rpm uses a binary database for its
data, while dpkg uses a large number of text-files instead. The
advantage of that is that it is robust (if a single file gets corrupted
it's not much of a problem), and that it is possible to fix or modify
things by hand using a normal text editor if needed.

Apt uses a mixed approach: it uses the same textfiles as dpkg but
uses a binary cache to also get the advantages of a binary database.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |