Easy to do Full backup /restore to dead system?

We have a small server, with no bulk backup device, but has network and CDrom reader.

What is the easiest way to be able to recover everything in case of a crash?

E.g. make big tar, ftp to remote site, and then restore?

But I presume that one cannot overlay a running system. Thus boot to floppy and do the same; but does rescue disk have full networking and ftp?

or.....??

Is there an easy way to make a bootable (restorable), or other useful CD restore image at a remote site (where we can burn CDs).

Thanks.

Gregory
Gregory Guthrie
guthrie@mum.edu         (515)472-1125    Fax: -1103