Re: freshmeat running on windoze?!

** On May 20, Sven Burgener scribbled:
> >There are at least three easy ways to check what operating system runs
> on
> >the remote machine (let's assume it's got the HTTP port open):
> >
> >1. nmap -O -p 80 host.name.com
> >   You don't want to scan them :), that's why the -p
>
> What's the -O option? For some reason, I can't find any info for it; I
> am missing nmap's man page(!)
Full info comes right your way :)):

       -O     This option activates  remote  host  identification
              via TCP/IP fingerprinting.  In other words, it uses
              a bunch of techniques to detect subtleties  in  the
              underlying  operating  system  network stack of the
              computers you are scanning.  It uses this  informa­
              tion  to  create  a 'fingerprint' which it compares
              with its database of  known  OS  fingerprints  (the
              nmap-os-fingerprints  file)  to decide what type of
              system you are scanning.

              If you find a machine that is misdiagnosed and  has

                                                                5

NMAP(1)                                                   NMAP(1)

              at  least  one port open, it would be useful if you
              mail me the details (ie OS  blah  version  foo  was
              detected  as  OS  blah version bar).  If you find a
              machine with at least one port open for which  nmap
              says  'unknown  operating system', then it would be
              useful if you send me the IP address along with the
              OS  name and version number.  If you can't send the
              IP address, the next best thing is to run nmap with
              the  -d  option  and send me the three fingerprints
              that should result along with the OS name and  ver­
              sion  number.   By doing this you contribute to the
              pool of operating systems known to nmap and thus it
              will be more accurate for everyone.

straight from the nmap page :))

l8r,
marek :)