Re: power saving - A good idea

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > I lost a hard drive on my firewall machine recently so I looked for ways to
> > conserve the drive. I enabled power saving(?) in the BIOS so that the IDE
> > spins down after 5 mins of inactivity. As it is the only machine on a lot of
> > the time, the HD is rarely used anyway.
> > Any downside to this, will it cause problesm? Three days in and the machine
> > seems fine.
> >
> <paranoid>
> there is a downside: every time the disk spins up, it gets a bit "older".
> ide disks survive many more spin-ups than scsi disks nowadays, but they
> have their limits, too.
> </paranoid>
> however, this number is about 300,000 or something like that (will vary
> very much from disk to disk). assuming, that the drive spins up 100
> times a day, it would work for 10 years. so this should not be an issue.

i have something similar which i haven't been able to disable
(not via bios, not via hdparm--at least i've not stumbled into
the right parameter yet)--

	kernel: hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
	kernel: ide1: reset: success

after a time if i access my secondary drive, i get messages like
this (usually more). after about 15 seconds, the drive is up and
ready, all seems well. but those 15 seconds can kill a website...

suggestions on how to disable this spindown?