Re: emacs ignores certain commands in .emacs

    Johann> I like emacs and prefer it to xemacs because of xemac's delete-key and
    Johann> backspace key behaviour which differs between the console and X
    Johann> environments. But I have a few problems which I do not understand.

 `M-x customize-apropos delete'.  If you can't fix it that way, then
 try `f1 k', press the offending key, find out what it's called, and
 rebind it in the `term-setup-hook'.  Also see my xhypermap.m4 and
 ext-fkeymap.el in <URL:http://master.debian.org/~karlheg/XE-Lisp>.

8<--------------------------------------------------------->8
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'iso-accents-mode)

;; For iso-8859-1 keyboarding (German, Spanish, French, etc.)
(require 'x-compose)
(define-key function-key-map [multi-key] compose-map)
;; Uncomment if you like the binding. éèñ¿¡æß
;; This is the same key you'd use on the console with the
;; x?hypermap.m4 keymap installed.
;; (define-key function-key-map [(control ?.)] compose-map)

(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
(add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with Emacs latex mode

(gnuserv-start)

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)
8<--------------------------------------------------------->8

 Don't set the font lock keywords to the python ones.  Font lock mode
 will do that for you when you visit a Python program.

 Use `add-hook' rather than `setq' to get a hook function into a hook
 list variable.

 If you do `M-x load-library reftex', then `M-x customize-group
 reftex', I think you'll find that it's a lot simpler than editting
 .emacs.

 Did you know about `M-x customize-apropos[Tab][Tab]' ?

 Many of the settings you want are on the menubar (eg: global font
 lock mode).  Use the name of the item in the menubar as a hint as to
 what variable you need to set via the `M-x customize' interface.

--
Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it - Poorly.
A few months in the laboratory often saves several hours at the library.

mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)