Re: The /source of the problem...or is that the /src?

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 12:41:18PM +0100, Graeme Mathieson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> montefin <montefin@finux.com> writes:
>
> > But*, one tiny, core question remains. Which is it: /usr/src,
> > /usr/local/source, /usr/local/src?
>
> /disk/src, with /usr/src and /usr/local/src symlinked into it. :)  At least
> that's what I do.  Of course, that's 'cos I've got a separate disk for
> source (I tend to keep a lot of source trees kicking around).
>
> /usr/src seems to be the generally accepted one though.
>
> Somebody else mentioned that you should just build up source in your home
> directory.  One situation where this is a _bad_ thing:  if your home
> directory is NFS mounted.  You'll suddenly watch a 4-minute compile turn
> into a 15-minute compile...

make also gets pissed off if the clocks on both machines are not
EXACTLY the same.  i once was trying to build some stuff on a system
that was NFS mounting /home from another machine, the clocks were only
about 30 or 45 seconds off but compiles would always be borked because
make would bail when it saw files in the future... i think i ended up
having to dump the source in /var/tmp (i was not root) to do the make,
though waiting around for a bit after untarring helped but not
enough..

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/