Re: quickinstall for multiple debian machines

David Benson wrote:

> I am looking for a package that will allow
> quick installation of a customized debian system,
> ie one in which i have selected a precise package
> list / ftp mirror.

We did something like this.  We could build a running system with X in
probably 15 minutes on 486s.  The concept began as building a minimal
system with X (50 MB) but grew somewhat from there.  The solution isn't
that elegant but it works very well if you really want to build a large
number of identical systems.

We basically came up with a package list, default answers for configuration
questions and an install order to take care of dependency problems then
stuffed it into an install script which we ran via NFS subsequent to
installing the base via NFS.

The script might be made simpler if you used apt-get but I'm not certain.
Either way this setup worked quite well for us.

Check http://www.linux.ca/minideb/ and look at install.sh if you're
interested.

Fraser