Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

Hi..

I worked on debian (first private than at work) and redhat (and SuSe, only
for money :), and my personal opinion ist, that debian Packages are much
more smoother to handle than rpm's.
As long as you don't build your own Packages. Mostly i can use make-kpkg. :)
to make my kernel-images. I create a .deb-Package once or twice for internal
purpose, and it was , uhm, not thaat easy...
Nowadays i just try "apt-get install ..." and most times i get what i want
out of those 4500 available packages on the debian network. Same thing with
rpm-find was a lot more work.

And at last, the package format will become more and more superfluous, the
more Linux will be used and software will become available for it, due to
the fact that someone will convert it from one fromat to another and
developers become familar with the various packages formats.
Until then i will stick to debian. A point of view thet developed in the
last years of Linux experience.

For an one-time installation or a devolping computer it's no matter which
one you use. The most time you will spent with configuring the system.

For mass-installations it always "dd" from an pre-cooked diskimage. An the
diskimage make no difference between RPM and deb.

But for more than one system "apt upgrade" is really easy to keep all the
systems up to date.

BTW, M$ wants to get an patent on apt, as i read on /. a few days ago...

In short:

RPM:
	- There are more flavors of it, at last in the internal stucture.
SuSe's are different from RedHat from ....
	- No (simple) netinstaller. There is rpm-find and alikes, but no
relieable infrastructure on the net.
	+ Easy to make for users.
	+ A new package ist build fast. Useful e.g. for bugfixes.
	- The {pre,post}-{inst,remove} Sktripts are poor.
	+ "rpm -bb .." build a rpm from a source dist. (Now in deb too)
	+ Industry Standard. [Just because it's easy to create, not because
it's good >:-) ]

apt+deb:
	+ Good infrastructure on the net. Mirrors, structured directories,
naming convention, etc.
	+ easy use. just "apt {install,remove}  ...". Get all of them from
the net. 4500 now, i think.
	+ Sophisticated {post,pre}-{inst,remove} skripts and many little
helpers (update-rd.d etc)
	+ Handles configuration files in a special way.
	- Hard to build. There is a large doc about this task , but it still
takes a long time to learn.

--

[ampersand online agentur]
[andreas rabus]