Re: The /source of the problem...or is that the /src?

    montefin> But*, one tiny, core question remains. Which is it: /usr/src,
    montefin> /usr/local/source, /usr/local/src?

    montefin> Some docs and HOWTO's say to build Linux in /usr/local/source; some
    montefin> mail, even from this list, mentions /usr/local/src; make-kpkg, I
    montefin> believe, builds into /usr/src. Sweet 'apt-get --configure source' will
    montefin> build where ever I happen to be at the moment.

 The `kernel-source' packages will put the kernel sources in
 "/usr/src/".  "/usr/src" is mainly for dpkg use, I guess.

 For your own system-wide use, you might like to use
 "/usr/local/src/<subdir>" for stuff...

  cd /usr/local/src
  mkdir <pkgname>
  cd <pkgname>
  apt-get source <pkgname>

 By putting it in a subdir like that, when you `debian/rules binary'
 the package, it will write the .deb in a subdir, rather than out in
 the "/usr/local/src".  I find that organization more convienient.

 I use the "/usr/local/src" area for that sort of thing, for CVS
 checkouts, and for my own projects.  But I'm the only one using this
 workstation.  On a multi-user machine, you might want to create
 per-user directories up in "/usr/local/src/<user>", OR just let them
 work from inside their $HOME/src directory.

--
Those who do not study Lisp are doomed to reimplement it - Poorly.
A few months in the laboratory often saves several hours at the library.

mailto:karlheg@debian.org (Karl M. Hegbloom)