Re: Hmm... what gives with that mail??

** On May 17, Mark Brown scribbled:
> On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 07:59:01PM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
>
> [user@host canonicalised to user@host.domain]
> > I use postfix and I suppose it does the same. In the situation where the
>
> It does.
>
> > lookup fails I suppose postfix appended my domain name even though the host
> > with such derived name doesn't exist.
>
> It's a straight textual substitution.  Look at the trivial-rewrite
> manual page for details.  One thing you can do about things like this is
> to reject unresolvable sender domains (perhaps accepting them from local
> hosts if you do canonnicalisation or anything for them).
I reject unknown clients. Remember that the mail was received by my mailer from
murphy.debian.org - so I suspect that's where the problem with accepting
unknown domains lies.

> > > Even more obvious of the same thing is people who send mail as just
> > > 'username' which gets canonified as username@whatever.com by each
> > > recipient.  (Spammers do this reasonably often judging from how often
> > > our users complain about it.)
>
> > The original poster apparently used Exim, which does canonicalize local user
> > names, unless it is misconfigured.
>
> Given that his host was called "debian" I strongly suspect that that's
> all he's got for a hostname.
it wasn't - that's another surprise. Apparently (look at the mail headers I
attached to the original post) his host is called 'bolan', and lies on a LAN
with DHCP-assigned addresses, just as well as its smarthost (166.35.145.181)
which then passes mail to 166.37.204.5, then to 166.38.58.143, then it hits
the firewall which forwards the mail to murphy.debian.org. Note that the
X-Envelope-Sender had a value of bolan@debian.wcom.com which VRFY at
dgesmtp01.wcom.com reports as a valid local alias (SMTP reply 251), but mail
sent to that address bounces...

> > > Looks like the original sender needs to fix their mail setup to use the
> > > fqdn.
>
> > he, or one of the several relays that lie between him and the outer world...
>
> Most of those relays appear to be the same box.
Hmm... maybe, but I'd rather say there are at least 2 hosts between him and
the outer world.

marek