Re: Transfer data between two comps without network

>|  my problem is that I have to transfer large amount of data (20~50 Gigs)
>|  daily.
>|  And it can't be done via network due to  'secret' nature of that data.
>
>Umm...how about encrypting it prior to sending it across the network.
>I've used schemes such as piping data across an SSH process to achieve
>this without having to encrypt the files on disk.  In fact, that's how our
>Amanda backup installation backs up all of our remote production servers.

That should work, and if the client and server machines are fast enough (say
PentiumIII-700) and it's switched full-duplex 100baseT then it should be
possible to do the transfer in 1-2 hours.

Of course if you have to transfer 50G of data between machines daily then
you probably have some type of design problem anyway.

>Another thought, go out and buy yourself a couple of Lucent/Wavelan
>ORINOCO Gold wireless ethernet cards.  They'll do 128-bit encryption
>between the two cards.

Isn't Wavelan 2Mb == 256KB?  This means 20 to 50 hours transfer time per day.
This makes it unworkable.

Also Wavelan emulates regular Ethernet, so the usual IP spoofing tricks will
work.  If the data is too secret for regular Ethernet then Wavelan is no good.

Russell Coker