Re: hide the commabd executed from ps,who

On Wed, 17 May 2000, w trillich wrote:

> to hide the args of your command, there are several tricks
> aside from the 'overhaul the kernel' approach--
>
> 1) write a script to do the deed & supply the args, and call it
>    as your command; then your command-line will only be the script name.
>    set (restrict) permissions as needed on the script file.

I don't think it will work...in ps it will still show the executable
follwed by the argument that thhe shell script executed...
> 2) use variables (not very secure) or aliases (even less secure):
>    % set cmd='mysql -umyself -ptryagain db'
>    % $cmd
I hanv't tried cmd...but if I use alias the actuall command will be
shown in "ps" too...

> 3) if the command has a dotfile option (as in ~/.mysqlrc) then put
>    your sensitive stuff there and restrict privileges on that file.

this one i havn't tried yet...
> ... there are probably other ways as well, each with its own
> pitfalls. tinker around, scan the manpages, see what you come
> up with.
>
> problem is, linux/unix was designed with information sharing--not
> information barricaded in a subterranean hermetically-sealed vault--as
> a primary goal. unfortunately it's a bit against our nature, just
> yet, to be open as linux is. ("*my* user list! mine! mine!")
>
> maybe someday...

...seem the thing won't show is just the binnary code of the
executable....
so I need to modify the source code and put my password inside the code
and compile it????????