Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.

On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 06:17:14AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2000 at 02:55:33PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > Can we please not be so negative about rpm? I'll agree that dpkg is
> > better (and of course I'm completely not biased here :), but rpm
> > is not a piece of crap.
>
>     OK, in the light of trying to say something positive about rpm might I
> suggest to henceforth call it a "piece of manure" so at least people might
> think it is worthwhile in helping something grow... like having a growing
> respect for apt?  :)

ROFL

that would make a nice .sig if it weren't so long ;-)  its quite true
too, i had to go though a session with rpm after switching to debian
and boy did it cause alot of swearing ;-)   my respect for apt/dpkg
certianly grew quite a bit.  i then blew away that redhat based dist
from my powerpc and installed potato...

seriously though i think Wichert is just asking that we be a bit more
professional when expressing our dislike for rpm, i suppose it is
better if we don't look too much like raving lunatics (sp?) (even if
we are :P)

afterall its going to take alot of `professionalism' to get that silly
LSB to stop `standardizing' on things like rpm...

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/