From: Jesse Jacobsen [mailto:jjacobsen@jvlnet.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 4:52 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Tape Backup Problem

On 05/16/00, Robert Waldner addressed "Re: Tape Backup Problem":
> I had the same experience on kernel 2.0.38 with a HP DDS-2 when
> using taper and/or kbackup. Settled down for plain tar.

Plain tar is nice in some ways, but unless there's hardware
compression, using compression is risky.   I've been using afio, which
allows you to compress file-by-file.  Like tar, it fits nicely into
scripts, and creates reasonably accessible archives.

--
Jesse Jacobsen, Pastor          jjacobsen@jvlnet.com
Grace Lutheran Church (ELS)     http://www.jvlnet.com/~jjacobsen/