Re: installing a printer

On 16-May-2000 17:28:03 Daniel Reuter wrote:
> Get the Printing-HOWTO at
> http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Printing-HOWTO.html
> There, all the steps are described. In short:
> 1. install printer spooling software (usually lpr or lprng)
> 2. install filter software (magicfilter or apsfilter, would be good
> install all the tools, which they recommend (gs, jpeg-progs and the
> like)
> 3. run magicfilterconfig to configure your /etc/printcap file

I have done all these things, but I thought I still needed to obtain
a driver for the printer, in order to print PostScript and formats
other than ASCII text.

>> I am getting an Epson Stylus Color 740 and I will use the parallel
>> connector until the 2.4 kernels are released.
>
> There was something about the Epson Stylus Color 740 on this list
> just a
> while ago. If it doesn't work, look at these mails or in the
> archive.

Thanks, I will check the archive.

>> I will need to recompile my kernel with printer support
>
> No you don't, because:
> The lp-module and the parport-modules will get installed
> during the installation of Debian (even if you didn't configure
> them
> during installation!), so if you didn't accidentally remove
> them, you should just make sure, that they are loaded, when
> printing.
> (Try the program modconf to tell your system which modules to load
> on
> startup and to configure them).
> Although it would not be a bad idea to recompile your kernel. It
> usually
> makes your system faster and the kernel smaller (as you can exclude
> drivers, which you don't need).

I have compiled a development kernel and I made sure to add parallel
printer and USB support.  I just obtained a script for iptables, so I
can start using the 2.3 kernel.

thanks

--
Andrew