Re: amd home map

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 03:54:29PM -0600, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:

> > I have the actual home directories on the server in /disk/home>

> Doesn't this mean that all your home directories live on a single
> server?  The reason we are considering amd (or autofs if it is
> capable) is to be able to have different users' home directories live
> on different machines.

AMD can do it.  I've never played with autofs.  One thing you can do is
to use multiple layers of indirection - have one map which maps from a
/home directory (or whatever) onto the real homedir volumes which are
themselves automounted from the appropriate hosts.  You could just share
a symlink farm, but with a map you should reduce network traffic.

There's also nothing requiring you to have all homedirs under /home
except conveninece.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/