Re: IP forwarding

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Dwayne C . Litzenberger wrote:

> I have a box that I want to do IP forwarding.  But, I can't ping outside
> hosts through it.  The firewall sends packets from me, but it doesn't
> re-forward the ICMP echo replies (although you can see them with iptraf in
> promiscuous mode) back.
>
> # ipchains -L
> Chain input (policy ACCEPT):
> Chain forward (policy ACCEPT):
> Chain output (policy ACCEPT):
>
> # cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

Dwayne,

Please don't take offense to my comments here, but there are quite a lot of
things to learn about Linux firewalls and masquerading. I was new to Linux six
months ago (still a newbie now) and wanted to create a firewall box for our
company. I read all the HOW-TO's (NETWORK, IPCHAINS, FIREWALL, MASQ, etc.) a
New Riders book by Robert Ziegler (Linux Firewalls) and also found some firewall
scripts that I used as learning tools. If you want to learn about the details of
ipchains please start with the HOWTO's and THEN the following web sites:

#-- Robert Ziegler http://www.linux-firewall-tools.com
#-- Rick Johnson http://www.pointman.org

PS: You may not see many replies to your question because there are just too
many variables involved.

--
Mark Schiltz - Just Lurking to Learn

I'm here to paint but I've forgotten my brush...
You got beer?