Re: X Starting automaticlly

Jay Kelly wrote:

> Hello Guys,
> How do I stop X Windows from startign automaticlly aafter rebooting? Should
> I use a boot disk to get to a promt? Any help would be great.
> Thanks
> Jay

If you're wanting a "permanent" fix, uninstall the xdm (or wdm or gdm) package.

If you're wanting to simply get to a non-X screen, try pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 or
Ctrl-Alt-F2.

If you're wanting to shut down xdm after boot, press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and log in as root;
then "ps ax" and kill the PID of the xdm process.

If you're wanting to turn off xdm (auto start of X) semi-permanently but don't want
to uninstall xdm, rename the script in /etc/rc2.d that contains the name "xdm",
putting the word "No" in front of the name or something similar. The "S" scripts
start on entering the runlevel 2 (Debian's default); by renaming it to something
other than "S[whatever]", they won't run. Other people might suggest renaming it with
a "K" instead of a "No", which means the script should be "k"illed instead of
"s"tarted. For example, my xdm script's name is "S99xdm"; if I wanted to temporarily
disable it I'd rename it to "NoS99xdm" or "K99xdm".