Debian upgrade problems/perl

I'm trying to upgrade my perl on my debian 2.1 system to 5.005, but am
having serious problems, as shown below.  Myself and another system admin
here have both tried this, but have gotten either stuck or broken libc.  I'm
back at the point where I have to fix this, and I'm going to need some help,
as I can't afford to hose this system since it's in production.

When i run apt-get install, I get:

  libdb2: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.3-2) but 2.1.2-5 is installed
  tin: Depends: metamail but it is not installed
  libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.0.7.19981211-6) but 2.1.2-5 is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify
a solution).

When I run apt-get -f install to fix stuff, I get:

  metamail
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  sendmail at g++ htdig libstdc++2.9-dev libncurses4-dev egcc libdb2 elm-me+
libc6-dev man-db mailx libpcap-dev
  metamail
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 13 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.

So, that would be bad it looks like. :\

>From viewing the Debian webpage, I see that perl-5.005 requires
perl-5.005-base, which requires libc6 >= 2.1.2 (which is fine) and libdb2 >=
1:2.4.14-7.

>From above though, I have:
  libdb2: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.3-2) but 2.1.2-5 is installed

So it looks like I need to go about upgrading libc6 to 2.1.3-2 before I can
do anything else..  I'm confused though, because I think that libc6-dev is
going to need upgrading, but it requires libc6 = 2.0.7.19981211-6, but it's
not a >= .. so that's going to be a problem, no?

Any ideas on how to go about properly upgrading this system without breaking
it?  :(

Thanks,
Chad