Re: ipchains and vmware

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Robert Norris wrote:

> > Can I just use IP-Masquerading with ipchains to allow my vmware virtual
> > machines to access the internet?
>
> You certainly can. Enable the 'host-only networking option' of vmware,
> which will create an interface called 'vmnet1'. Give this an IP address like
> 192.168.1.1 (or whatever). Set up networking for your virtual machine, and
> set 192.168.1.1 as its gateway. Then just set up the appropriate
> ipfwadm/ipchains rules and you're away.
>
> Regards,
> Rob.

Thanks Rob, it's working like a champ.  The one problem I had was that I
hadn't remembered about setting up either a DNS or adding to my /etc/hosts
file.  But, once I did that, everything worked swimmingly.

--
-bob

Remember the... the... uhh.....
* Robert Kerr, The morphing guy.  *    MS 0847 Sandia National Labs  *
* rakerr@sandia.gov               *    Albuquerque NM 87185-0847     *
* Robert_Kerr@byu.edu             *      Phone: (505) 844-8606       *
* http://www.et.byu.edu/~kerrr    *      Fax: (505) 844-9297         *