Re: installing kernel

>     kernel panic: can't find init. try passing init= as kernel option.
> Init is sitting in /sbin/init, where it should. Anyway, even passing
> init= as kernel "command line" via lilo to the kernel doesn't make any
> difference.

I've had this happen to me on numerous occasions, even with 2.2.14 kernels.
'Twas only recently that I learned what was causing it... you need to
configure your new kernel to include ELF binaries support.
The one you need to enable (and not as a module) is CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF....
>From the help on kernel support for MISC binaries, it sounds like you don't
need the ELF binaries support. The help states "If you say Y here, you
won't need 'Kernel support for Java binaries' or 'Kernel support for
Linux/Intel ELF binaries' as this is a more general solution."

Bur try adding the BINFMT_ELF support, recompiling, and seeing if that helps
at all.

Good luck!

- Colin McMillen