Re: installing kernel

> Hi, I've been using debian slink and the 2.0.36 kernel for a while now,
> and have just compiled the 2.2.4 kernel. I have my linux partition
> (ext2fs) on hda2. When booting the new kernel, it tells me something
> like
>     installed root fiesystem (ext. 2)
>     kernel panic: can't find init. try passing init= as kernel option.
> Init is sitting in /sbin/init, where it should. Anyway, even passing
> init= as kernel "command line" via lilo to the kernel doesn't make any
> difference.

i have two ideas:
1) all older kernel have a bug in the ext2-fs-driver, which could make
your partition unreadable for new kernels, but to be honest, i don't know,
which effects the bug has.
2) are you sure, that you mounted the right partition? did you try the
root= option? note, that everything, that comes before init= on the kernel
command line is dropped (at least by some kernels).

btw: kernel 2.2.4 is not out yet - and won't be for the next three
months, from what i've heard.

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.