Re: Q:Potato kernel w/APM & Pentium support?

On Fri, 12 May 2000 01:02:08 Jonathan Gift wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is Potato already compile for apm and Pentium support or do you have to
> compile it it?

Ben Collins just told me that the .config file for your installed
kernel-image lives in /boot/config-* .  A cursory examination shows that
APM is compiled in but disabled by default (presumeable you'll have to
poke at things in /proc to make it go).  The processor optimization
selection (for IA32 platforms) is still at 386, as it has been forever,
for maximum compatability.

I've never noticed any performance boost from recompiling for 686, but
then I don't play Quake that often...