mounting samba shares in potato

Hi all

I am upgrading my slink system to potato.  In slink I was able to mount
a samba share using

  smbmount //samba/homes /mnt -o username=rblack uid=1000 gid=1000

Now when I try with slink and a 2.2.14 kernal I get

session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password
pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
SMB connection failed

(and, yes, I am entering the correct password!)

I have installed

smbfs 2.0.7-1

and compiled the kernal wtih smb support (as a module).  If I do a
lsmod, I get:

smbfs                  25648   0  (unused)

so that seems to be okay.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  thanks

Richard
begin:vcard
n:Black;Richard
tel;fax:416-971-4159
tel;home:
tel;work:416-217-4350
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Algorithmics Inc
adr:;;185 Spadina Avenue;Tronoto;Ontario;M5T 2C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rblack@algorithmics.com
title:Financial Engineer
x-mozilla-cpt:;1664